FreeTrack and A-10C (64bt) HeadTracker Implementation

If that were the case, then headtracking would work anyway eh?

Well if he was working on Blackshark files and had missed the obvious trackirfixer bit but had remembered to toggle freetrack's output to the freetrack protocol rather than the required trackir, or visa versa, I assume it wouldn't have worked. Remember that selecting the correct output interface still matters. He's smarter than I am though and evidently doesn't overlook the painfully obvious steps. :)

But I agree it isn't vital we have Blackshark support and don't want him stressing himself over it. The only real reason to seek it is to silence the foolish trolls and paid shills from NP who grasp for any excuse to try to justify NP's artificial monopoly and stifling of innovation. Shutting them up for good is worth a little effort, don't you think?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Don't worry chaps, I'll keep on poking at it. It's almost certainly something very simple, but with little to no feedback from the DCS plugin system it's totally trial and error trying to figure things out... It would definitely be go to not have to rely on the legally dubious TrackIrFixer...

Ok, here's an update of the 64bit HeadTracker. It doesn't have any hardcoded paths in it anymore, so it should support being placed anywhere, so long as you update the Scripts/Input.lua file. Not really all that important, but I wasn't happy with hardcoded stuff in there.

<DEPRECATED>HeadTracker Binaries.zip</DEPRECATED>

<DEPRECATED>HeadTracker Sources.zip</DEPRECATED>

I'm still stumped with the 32bit version I'm afraid. I just cannot get it to work :( I've tried all kinds of different locations to place the file, statically linking in the dependencies, placing the visual c++ runtime file in the same folder... I've commented out all the code within the API methods so it's just a simple stub, and still no joy.

All I can think of is that it needs to be compiled with the same version of visual c++ as the main app is? Looking at the simulator.exe file in dependency viewer is say it relies on MSVCR71.DLL, which I believe is the one from Visual Studio 2003. I only have 2008 and 2010 available to me. I would have thought that the version should not matter tho, as it's just buildng a windows dll. I'm clutching at straws now :helpsmilie:

Edited by samtheeagle

You keep doing a great job!

I wish I could help you with the issues with the 32-bit version but I'm not familiar with c++.

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

Wow, this is really a very good news. :cheer3nc:

Sam, you really make a great contribution to the freetrack community. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot!

Your solution really makes freetrack works.

However, when I look at "option", freetrack is not detected.

I like to make "freetrack z axis" for zooming, and I do not know how to do it,

if freetrack is not detected in "option". :no_sad:

Please correct this in your future update.

Keep up the good work! :beer:

sam how does this head tracker work? do we need additional equipment?

To use Free-Track as headtracking solution in DCS A-10C (or any other game that supports it, like Arma2 or whatever), you need the following things:

• Read the information available at http://www.free-track.net/english/ .
  • Web camera (most work just fine, some don't work at all unfortunately, see the list at the Free-Track website).
  • Some kind of filter to filter out visible light and only let IR light through to the web camera sensor. I used a developed negative 35mm camera film.
  • A "point model", which is a holder for three infrared (IR) light-emitting diodes (LED) with the proper electrical supply (batteries, usb-connection or whatever you want to make). This you make by yourself using cheap parts available in electronic hardware stores, there are plenty of instructions and help in the Free-Track forums. I made mine using a regular baseball cap (http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=315).
  • The Free-Track software must be installed and configured. It should be running in the background when playing any games.
  • samtheeagle's headtracker.dll (links in previous posts in this thread).

Did I forget anything?

Edited by Boulund

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

In Addition to what Boulund already wrote, you can follow this popular thread to receive further instructions about the wiring of three IR-diodes :

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=1856

This is probably the easiest way to assemble the Point Model, which I followed a few days ago with little experience in soldering. The parts set me back 8€ (not including the solder machine or wires).

After getting the hang of the FreeTrack software, it works really stable. I'm using a Logitech C270. Although the camera alone - without modification - works very well, I attached with an extra IR-Filter I had for my photo camera to remove the visible light , this adds additional robustness to the tracking.

However, when I look at "option", freetrack is not detected.

I like to make "freetrack z axis" for zooming, and I do not know how to do it,

if freetrack is not detected in "option".

Hi a1adin,

I'm sorry but I'm not 100% clear on what the issue you are having is. I think you're saying that nothing is shown in the options screen about FreeTrack being detected? That is correct, there is no indication in the game that FreeTrack is being used (other than the head tracking working :) )

As for the Z axis, if I am understanding what you're asking for correctly I don't think it's possible. I'm not aware of the ability to assign head tracker axes to game commands, but perhaps someone else knows better?

It's not something I have control over in the head tracker dll anyway, that would be a game options thing.

a1adin, that post you reference seems to be talking about using FreeTrack with PPJoy, which was the way to get head tracking to work in game before the API was released. So yes, if you are using PPJoy then you can assign axes from it as you see fit. But if you're using my headtracker.dll then PPJoy is no longer needed / used. You wont get any special FreeTrack axes showing up in the options screens.

To zoom I either lean forward so that the headtracker moves the in game head position, and I assign a rotary dial axis on my X45 for the other type of zoom.

Does that clear things up? Or am I still missing the point here?

Sam, I do not know about ppjoy since I never use it.

and yes you can assign "zoom view" to any button on your hotas.

but these are not the point.

The point is:

I need freetrack appears in the option screen so that I can reassign the "z axis" to "zoom view".

if you lean forward in dcsbs and a10c,

by default you do not zoom the view,

you only move your head forward in the cockpit.

if you use trackirfixer on dcsbs or a10c(32bit),

then you will find this in option screen > controls > axis command, on the TrackIR section :

"Absolute Horizontal Shift Camera View" assigned to "TRACKIR X"

"Absolute Vertcal Shift Camera View" assigned to "TRACKIR Y"

"Absolute Longitude Shift Camera View" assigned to "TRACKIR Z"

These are the default.

Then, I usually change "TRACKIR Z" to "Zoom View".

Now I can zoom, if I lean forward.

However, now with your solution, there is none on option screen that I can change.

That's why I need freetrack appears in the option screen so that I can reassign the "z axis" to "zoom view".

I hope you understand now.

Hmmmm ok a1adin, thanks for the clarification... I think I understand now from what you've said, and I think that what you're describing is a TrackIR specific feature?

There is nothing in the Head Tracker API that relates to a feature like you describe, so I'm sorry, but I don't think there's anything I can do to make it work how you would like :(

• Like 1

I think the main thing that a1adin is concerned about is that when Free-Track was used prior to the headtracker API was that it emulated Track-IR input (via "hacking" of newinput.dll - using trackirfixer), and as such showed as mappable axes in the controls menu.

I understand that it is a popular feature to map leaning forwards and backwards to zoom functionality, but this in my opinion is stupid since you're loosing one of the coolest things ever - full 6dof cockpit! I believe that this is a legacy thing that since when there were really no sims with 6dof cockpit it made sense to map leaning to zoom, but now it really doesn't IMHO. With leaning forwards and backwards mapped to zoom you only have a 5 dof cockpit :P. If instead you were to map the view zoom to buttons or a separate axis you get both!

What an amazing solution!!! I've post thread in freetrack forum that never been answered!!!!

Just copy Dll and everything works fine under 64 bits DCS A10C!!!!

THANK YOU MAN!!! You save my DCS-A10!!! I can use more than 3Go RAM!!!

Edit: I delete my question cause someone asked the same page 4... sorry I didn't see before...

Miniding

Boulet Air Force

Edit again: I linked your topic in the BAF Forum... many users of freetrack should know you!!!

Thanks again!!!!!

Edited by Miniding69

I am currently constructing a point model for use with Freetrack and hopefully should have it up and running fairly soon.

There are several threads about various methods of tracking and I'm trying to work out what is actually needed as there doesn't seem to be any central reference with current information, and I consequently have a few questions.

I have got FacetrackNoIR working with my current webcam, and that required installing the 64 bit dll from the ED site, as recommended by FaceTrack. It reasonably, but I only have a cheap ebay webcam at present which is hampering things somewhat - it has high cpu usage and crappy frame rate unless it is daylight outside. I'm going to replace it with something better.

What I am uncertain about is whether that ED dll is sufficient to use with freetrack, or do I need to use the method in this thread instead? Is it possible to use both bits of software interchangeably or are the configurations different?

From what I've read, freetrack has better performance than facetrack, which seems a little hard to get smooth.

I use a wiimote via bluetooth and an infra-red LED array. Some reflective tape wrapped around my point model wires does an awesome job of it. Video here:

I've since improved the point model a bit. Less fragile and a wider angle of effectiveness. The wiimote does all the heavy lifting, I have almost zero CPU impact from running this head tracking setup. Snappy as hell too.

So how do I install the HeadTracker Binaries.zip found on the 3rd page? This will let me use FacetrackNOIR, correct?

I looked at the intructions, and Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS A-10C/bin/ had no Headtracker folder. Also, what .lua do I need to change?

stumped.

Hi guys,first let me say great work from you all regarding this freetrack stuff as I and many others can't afford,or don't want to purchase TIR.Anyway my question is that I managed to make a 3 point clip and got it working quite well with the freetrack software,downloaded the headtracker dll thingy and installed it in the bin folder but that's as far as I can get and obviously it doesn't work for me.Please forgive the lad and I know there is a lot of posts about this but they are a little bit scattered around and tbh after reading them all I'm totally mixed up about what to install where about,then what next.I am confused about api,binaries,dll files and the like,I am for the most part a noob when it comes to this stuff,I do try but usually fall flat on my proverbial.

I was chuffed when I made the clip and now I don't know what else to do.Please could some lovely chap instruct me in layman's terms how to get this thing to work,I would be forever in your debt,cheers.:helpsmilie:

edit:its win 7 64 bit I am using,ta.

Edited by 3instein
64 bit system

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Keep the faith

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

...Please could some lovely chap instruct me in layman's terms how to get this thing to work,I would be forever in your debt,cheers.:helpsmilie:...

Try following the instructions in one of my previous posts:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1237193&postcount=32

The instructions assume you download the link called "HeadTracker Binaries.zip" in this post:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1234317&postcount=28

In short it consists of a lot of steps to get FreeTrack up and running, then keep it running in the background (I assume this is where you're at right now).

Then follow the installation instructions contained in the "HeadTracker Binaries.zip" (direct link)

Unzip the file so that headtracker.dll and headtracker.prefs end up at [DCS A-10C root folder]\bin\headtracker\. Start the game with FreeTrack running and active in the background and voilá, you should now have headtracking in the game (try running a quick mission or something). There are no other indiciations that it is running other than that it "just works".

Try following the instructions in one of my previous posts:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1237193&postcount=32

The instructions assume you download the link called "HeadTracker Binaries.zip" in this post:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1234317&postcount=28

In short it consists of a lot of steps to get FreeTrack up and running, then keep it running in the background (I assume this is where you're at right now).

Then follow the installation instructions contained in the "HeadTracker Binaries.zip" (direct link)

Unzip the file so that headtracker.dll and headtracker.prefs end up at [DCS A-10C root folder]\bin\headtracker\. Start the game with FreeTrack running and active in the background and voilá, you should now have headtracking in the game (try running a quick mission or something). There are no other indiciations that it is running other than that it "just works".

thankyou very much for the info M8,will certainly give it another go,saying that though I fear this is where I got to last time but It just didn't seem to work?Will keep trying though,sooo close I can taste the 6 dof.cheers Mick.

edit:just to be clear,in the headtracker folder there should only be headtracker dll,and headtracker prefs?right?

Edited by 3instein

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Keep the faith

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.