nVidia Big Format Gaming Displays (BFG-D)

I have Oculus Rift and use it as much as practical, but any video card that can drive the Rift at decent frame rates with high visual quality can also drive a 4K display. I have been sitting on the fence waiting for the right deal on a large (60-inch or more) 4K TV that has decent support for PC gaming. I almost got a 50 (or was it 55) inch OLED TV last Christmas, but decided to hold off at least another year as my 1080 GTX can't even maintain 60 Hz in 1080p with the high quality settings I prefer in DCS World. I have always been searching for a TV because gaming monitors only get so big and have a horrific price for merely having a display port while lacking all the standard TV features.

Now I am watching to see what comes of nVidia's BFG-D plans. If the quality is there, the size is large enough, and the prices are at TV levels or better for a given size, I could live with a large 120 Hz 4K display that supports G-Sync. I would prefer OLED (been waiting for OLED to reach the market for so many years!). I guess I will just have to wait and see what Acer, ASUS, and HP bring to market under the BFG-D scheme in terms of features, quality, and price.

Of course, if it is just marked up garbage, I will just have to settle with a conventional OLED TV with whatever the latest HDMI interface supports.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/07/nvidia-teams-up-with-acer-asus-and-hp-to-launch-65-inch-gaming-displays/

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found a little bit more information. Quality will be comparable to Samsung QLED, not quite as good as OLED. Their big advantage is to be able to play games at 120 Hz with less than 16ms latency and G-sync for no tearing via Display Port. The 65-inch size is a good choice. I want to see a down-to-earth price. If it marked up beyond equivalent TVs, I can live with a decent OLED or QLED, maybe even get something in the 70 to 80 inch range. Some of the better TVs are performing very well as PC gaming monitors.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-nvidias-bfgd-could-replace-your-television-with-a-computer-monitor/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I looked at the bigger 4K monitors before selecting my screen, no regrets even tho it's only 27 inch G-sync 1ms.

If I was to go a large screen, I think I would not want anything under 5ms for flight simming.

This 43 inch below looks quite good and large enough to have the cockpits look full size.

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-bdm4350uc/

Pick one up in Aus for around $800 Philips BDM4350UC

Interesting to see what these will cost? 65 inches. 4K. 120Hz. Nvidia’s BFGD

I'm waiting for my 1440P / 4K VR display! VR just takes flight simulation to a whole new level, even with the crap res we have now.

but decided to hold off at least another year as my 1080 GTX can't even maintain 60 Hz in 1080p with the high quality settings I prefer in DCS World.

What CPU specs are you feeding that 1080 with? Are you above 4.8Ghz? You should be able to hold 50 - 60 Fps.

In 2.5.1 I can hold around 50 - 60 on high settings, view to ultra, 4 x MSAA and thats @ 1440P.

-

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I'm planning on getting the BFGD.

I think the size combined with 4k resolution make it a practical solution for DCS's issues with identification of aircraft at distance. It's like having a 1080p monitor but much improved pixel density, and the true presence of feeling like you're in the cockpit.

It would be much better solution than VR actually since you don't have the visual artifacts of the lenses or screen door effect.

And you can actually use the display for other things besides gaming.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I already play on a 46-inch 1080p LCD TV. This produces a 70 degree FOV in the horizontal and about 40 degrees in the vertical, much smaller than VR. There is a huge difference between 2D with TrackIR and VR. The only way 2D can rival VR is to have a 360 degree dome which wouldn't require TrackIR.

It is VR's low resolution that forces me to retain the 2D/TrackIR solution. 2D has a huge edge in image quality at 1080p. It can only get better in 4K. I want the largest display I can afford to maximize the FOV.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The BFGD, if you're sitting within a few feet of the TV comfortably, gives about 120 degrees horizontal FOV and 70 degrees in the vertical, which is higher than CV1, and the higher resolution more than makes up for the slight decrease in FOV compared with CV2.

Obviously, nothing comes close to Pimax 8k for FOV, but I still think if you're going to spend $$$ on a display, might as well make it the most functional: as TV, as gaming monitor, as regular desktop monitor.

VR still only can be used for gaming, and I would never expect it to replace a traditional monitor for desktop work or even casual web browsing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

... but I still think if you're going to spend $$$ on a display, might as well make it the most functional: as TV, as gaming monitor, as regular desktop monitor.

That is really the wrong approach, unless you only can afford one physical display to handle all of your needs.

My TV's are 1080p devices which are perfect since there is very little 4k material currently available. My sim pit monitor is 4k though I do have a CV1 (kickstarter freebie). A good TV is rarely equal to a good computer monitor when overall performance is considered. Also, a good gaming monitor is, IMHO, much larger than is practical for a desktop monitor. Gaming on a 40" monitor is great but working on a word processor doc or spreadsheet is rather impractical on that same monitor unless you are sitting 10 feet away.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well...Each to his own. I run VR and a 65" Samsung 4k 8 Series for my monitor (doubles as TV) when I want to see all the eye candy.

I do not use a desk as everything is contained on my flight chair. I sit 5 ft from the screen. I have no complaints. I could never go back to anything smaller.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

That is really the wrong approach, unless you only can afford one physical display to handle all of your needs.

My TV's are 1080p devices which are perfect since there is very little 4k material currently available. My sim pit monitor is 4k though I do have a CV1 (kickstarter freebie). A good TV is rarely equal to a good computer monitor when overall performance is considered. Also, a good gaming monitor is, IMHO, much larger than is practical for a desktop monitor. Gaming on a 40" monitor is great but working on a word processor doc or spreadsheet is rather impractical on that same monitor unless you are sitting 10 feet away.

The great conundrum with 4k displays is what you're going to do with all the extra space.

Remember, 4k is just multiple smaller 1080p monitors in the same display. If you want to work on word processor, just make it a smaller window in the big display, and it'll be like working on a 1080p monitor at the same viewing distance.

If you want to watch TV, just roll your chair back, or maybe even have a couch behind your usual chair, and you'll have an excellent TV to watch, or play games with the built-in Nvidia console.

What would you rather have, a 27" 4k display that has issues with size of scaling and would be terrible as a TV, or a 65" screen that can be used for everything depending on where you sit?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been using a 46-inch 1080p LCD purchased back in 2006 as a PC monitor for years. I am sure a dedicated PC monitor would look/perform better, but it has equaled or surpassed the 20-inch 1600x1200 LCD PC monitors it replaced. I can only imagine that a decent 4K TV will equal or surpass the TV I am using now. Whether I get a TV or PC monitor, the areas I expect to gain are: 4K resolution, HDR or whatever tech is replacing it, and OLED/QLED equivalent tech that reduces size/weight and increases brightness/contrast. I would expect a dedicated PC monitor to be even better than any TV by supporting refresh rates greater than 60 Hz at 4K over a DisplayPort with G-Sync and having much lower latencies.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If only they made a version that is slightly less huge. I am running one of the aforementioned Philips 4k panels and they are amazing for DCS. I would upgrade to a BFGD in a heartbeat if only nvidia would make them in the 42 inch ballpark instead of going full bonkers with 65.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.