By the book and outside detection, still tagged... :(

Hello again,

Today I flew the mountain mission and got all 4 wingmen safely across. Now I send 2 into recce and he reports contacts.. Returns, and I send 3 after him because I'm having trouble with datalink atm (alzheimer sorta speak).. Anyways, 3 decides to be a wise guy and engages bandits assigned as target for SEAD flight members...

Now notice I'm outside detection zone, far behind 37 AGL, using terrain as masking, and yet I get warned about a missile coming 12 o'clock high, and yet as I dispense, I get tagged and crash.. No time to eject.. Completely taken by surprise..

Here is the track:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/m5uazjym586xlb2/Tagged%20outside%20detection.trk

Now what shall I do?? I've even learnt one more thing from ABRIS, is that you can use ERBL to determine elevations on the fly, and find the least prominent edge to pass through. Really nice feature those Ruskies have on their birds. Abris.. A dream come true :D

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

..........Now notice I'm outside detection zone, far behind, using terrain as masking....

No no no most definitely not:

5ed807fd.jpg

That tells you that you're in a World of Trouble! It tells you that you're getting lazed, you're in range of whatever nasty there is and it's comin' from above. Now you were informed earlier by your flight that there are Bandits........Why were you still sitting in a Hover, head in the Cockpit, mushing buttons? You should have been running and hiding behind the mountain you ingressed from :P

Never ignore your laser warnings, especially not from the above hemisphere.

Now what shall I do??

Keep your Head on a Swivel and out of the Cockpit.

Situational Awareness is of paramount importance when at your Ingress point and you're getting ready to engage targets - do all your fiddling before you get to target. Once at Ingress, locate and destroy - do not hang about, especially in a Helo.

Again, pay attention to your LWR; It said you have a contact at your twelve high, within range (LOS). Had you searched (SA) you would have found the Hind that was about to take you to the cleaners:

7bf229bb.jpg

ed5ce52c.jpg

:)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

its OVER!! YEEAAAAYY!!!!! I finished it!!! My queer clipper wingmen got toast by the birds, and I wasnt there to watch... When the shitstorm cooled, I snuck from the highest point and eventually started shooting the vikhrs... I had no rockets, but only 2 fuel tanks in their place.. cowardish huh?

You decide

track:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/njnfc65uzu7k7pz/Yippie%20kayay.trk

well, the hike itself, and the subsequent pause for tactical assessment, would ensure I wouldnt get back to Nalchik with the default loadout (vikhr X 12, 40 S8 KOM, 100% fuel).. Anyways, the track stops the minute I'm informed 100% completion..

Anyways, here is to you Viper,

bottle-alamos_2008_mendoza_chardonnay_750ml.jpg

for help in finding those pesky little freaks.. I owe you my chopper in a multiplayer game anytime :thumbup:

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

....its OVER!! YEEAAAAYY!!!!! I finished it!!! ..

Jolly Good :thumbup:

....well, the hike itself, and the subsequent pause for tactical assessment, would ensure I wouldnt get back to Nalchik with the default loadout (vikhr X 12, 40 S8 KOM, 100% fuel).. Anyways, the track stops the minute I'm informed 100% completion..

As an aside, when do you get the completion confirmation? There's a FARP due East of the FEBA that you could possibly reach. Next time you fly the mission be sure to splash a Hind - that's always satisfying. That said, your write-up has me urged to fly the mission now too :)

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As an aside, when do you get the completion confirmation?

The minute all the AO is free of trucks, choppers, BMPs and missile launching APCs... Watch my track and see how I did it.

....What weapon was the Hind firing there?.....

9M114 Cocoon fired from the 9K114 Shturm missile system (NATO designation AT-16).

....Has there been much discussion on helicopter tactics in the past on these forums?....

Yeah - they go way back unfortunately. Will see if I can find them.

....Would you happen to have some tracks of your methods?...

Not on-hand, no.

Then again, no method per se, other than to make sure you see him first and kill him when you see him, immediately. Don't try anything fancy and lure him/any opponent into a fancy 'cat-fight'.......Hit First, Hit Hard, make sure he's not getting up, run and ingress again from another angle once the dust has settled :D

A useful tip would be to rely on Auto-Tracking: Lock up the Helo and thereafter immediately break the lock. The Shkval will still track: Laser will however not designate for any length of time, thus affording the bandit no warning of the incoming missile that's about to rearrange his dental-work.

Best advice:

# - Head-on-a-Swivel. Situational Awareness always wins.

# - When you Fence-In, switch off all exterior lights.

# - Avoid kicking up dust-clouds in a hover/on ingress.

# - Avoid excessive countermeasure deployment. Can be picked up visually for miles and miles. If you're defensive and you've dumped flares, assume you've been seen and are being hunted and take necessary steps to become the Hunter and opposed to supper.

That's just me - let's see what others have to say. A lot of talented egg-beaters out there :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Again, pay attention to your LWR; It said you have a contact at your twelve high, within range (LOS). Had you searched (SA) you would have found the Hind that was about to take you to the cleaners: :)

forgive me my ignorance, but what does SA mean in this context, situational awareness ?

Thx,

Michael