Which version of the Ka-50 is actually being modelled?

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but.....(ok, I'm not the least bit sorry)...

Although its 2 years ago now this thread mentions that BS is not night-capable (has NVG etc but no night-attack capability with Mercury pod or similar)...

Now that we are 2 years on...and so are the actual BS prototypes....will the BS being modelled be night-attack capable or just the day-time version?

Thanks in advance of anyone (ED/testers) are allowed to say.

Well as should be obvious from the screenies, the Ka50 only has one sighting system - that's the Shkval optical sighting system as used in the Ka50. So no night-attack capability.

If you're feeling brave, there ARE night vision goggles, and I suppose there's nothing to stop you using unguided weapons at night. If you can find your target.

So it's the daytime Ka50 with very, very limited night ops capability.

I am shure if Ka-50 driver cooperates with a su25t driver that could provide this kind of day will be more than happy to engage :D

LockOn_016.jpg

Ofcourse when the lights are out.... he could mount his NV goggles and RTB.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I am confused. If Ka-50 is using Shkval, in Lomac it's like, you can see everything with it in night (at least vehicles and stuff) and use it pretty effectively. How come then BS is supposed to have only "limited night attack capability"?

So is it a general consensus that the cockpit colour that is used widely varies and is not specificaly linked to the night or day version? IE its unlikely that the night version has anything buy black cockpit but the daytime versions could have anything depending on the specific machine?

The Ka-50s that have been produced are daytime helicopters.

It is only now (at least fifteen years after the period modeled in Lockon) that the avionics are working well enough that a night attack version could be mass produced.

You can still fly at night using the NVGs and rockets/cannons/bombs. This is what it would have been like if the situation had caused the Soviet/Russian government to force the Kamov into mass production before it was ready.

ED made the right choice and in anycase it is too late to make changes: So stop whining and be happy that ED exists.

@ Avimus: Ahem, it wasn't a whine, simply a question.

Perhaps its the air being thinner...all the way up there on the moral high ground...that must have got you confused huh?

Everyone else: Thanks for the prompt, constructive and informative responses.

I'll be flying the BS in whatever guise it takes...am just thinking as far in advance as possible for all the training and multiplayer missions etc, as the helo will fall under the auspices of the Bomber Wing which, as the CO, means I need to consider some "joined up" scenarios with Frog drivers as well as many other things.

...ED made the right choice and in anycase it is too late to make changes: So stop whining and be happy that ED exists.
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

487th Helicopter Attack Regiment, of the

VVS504 Red Hammers

i cant believe we are already arguing about the modeling of the Ka50 and the friggin thing isnt even released yet

I can't believe we're arguing about arguing about the modeling of the Ka50 and the frigging thing isn't even released yet.

@ Avimus: Ahem, it wasn't a whine, simply a question.

Perhaps its the air being thinner...all the way up there on the moral high ground...that must have got you confused huh?

Everyone else: Thanks for the prompt, constructive and informative responses.

I'll be flying the BS in whatever guise it takes...am just thinking as far in advance as possible for all the training and multiplayer missions etc, as the helo will fall under the auspices of the Bomber Wing which, as the CO, means I need to consider some "joined up" scenarios with Frog drivers as well as many other things.

Morale high-ground? Morale high-ground! I am outraged man :D

I am simply tired of people complaining when they no there is no point. I am irritated and making a short, ill fated and relatively pointless vendetta for no good reason.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about you (not that it matters...)

S!

Igla anti-air missile would be cool for Coop or MP

ED won't add it because they believe that if a missile wasn't used in service (what service you ask, true) it shouldn't be on the ka-50 :/ I don't care much, because I like the flying portion of this game, but I still suspect it being some kind of weaseling out of not adding the Igla-v, not that I would care more or less, since I'm planning at getting shot at only. How can you define what's in service? 90% of the time pictures are published they show dummies, as there is no need to fly with real, dangerous ordnance. So, are there actually sources that say those fuel tanks are actually used, or strapped on for airshow (transfer) purposes, and those 23mm pods, and those bomblet containers? Yes there is no need for the Igla-V, then why is there a need for bomb containers and bombs, is there a need for the Vikhr, why not only use NURSes, like it was done in real life, and limit ourselves to 4 vikhrs being there 'just in case', as per real wold requirements?

This might sound a bit Americanized, as in flying with live missiles and bombs because maybe there would be a stray Cessna trying to cross borders or blow up the whole USA, but how can ED really know what is being used and what not? I don't see a need for A-A missiles while the enemy has at most a captured BTR, maybe some BMPs, in real life that is.

Same applies more or less to the R-27AE/EP speculation in another thread, how do you know what is stockpiled at the bases around the country?

As for the 'I've seen pics' defense, well, in case of the Igla's, they are pictures of the things being suspended under the Ka-50 and fired. Is ED certain that the Igla-V is discontinued for the Ka-50, or is it a 'logical deduction' because the Vikhr has a proximity fuse?

I'm not saying that it's some excuse, just that it seems fishy they jump the shark (heh) by immediately stating 'nay, no Iglas for ye'.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Not being 'in service' is only one problem. The other is not knowing how it would be implemented in the WCS. I.e., what would the HUD look like? What manuevering restrictions would be in place? Would it give an audio tone?

ED is trying to keep the guessing to a minimum in this simulation. They make best guesses where they have to, but where they don't, because it isn't in service anyway, it's best for the quality of the product to simply omit it.

Having said that, I don't believe there has been any final decision. Perhaps they'll obtain enough info to model it correctly and then I'm sure you'll see it hanging off your stub-wings.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Apparently, the way it works in real life is that the NVGs themselves are set a certain distance away from the pilot's eyes, which allows him to glance down into the cockpit through 'regular vision', but look outside the pit through the NVGs. Very Russian, don't you think?

It's common with all, or almost all, NVG (excluding IDHASS) systems.

Not being 'in service' is only one problem. The other is not knowing how it would be implemented in the WCS. I.e., what would the HUD look like? What manuevering restrictions would be in place? Would it give an audio tone?.

IIRC the Ka-50 WCS doesn't have an actual air-to-air mode at all - so engaging an aerial target would be through the Skhval with either the gun or fuzed Vikhrs.

JJ

IIRC the Ka-50 WCS doesn't have an actual air-to-air mode at all - so engaging an aerial target would be through the Skhval with either the gun or fuzed Vikhrs.

Actually, there is an A/A missile selector on the collective, but it either has no function in the helicopter or ED has no informaiton on how it would function. I believe it's the former.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

What about the R-73? (As well as the R-60 and Ingla-V -both of which I believe could theoretically be carried...)

As for the joystick: would it not make sense to have the Shkval to change its tracking rules or rely less on the laser range finder if it is tracking an air target? It might not be much of a change.

Theoretically any of them could be carried, much like theoretically you could strap a HARM onto an F-15E.

The A2A weapons are simply not integrated into the WCS as far as we know. Period. In addition, IIRC a Russian army person said they had only tried R-60's on hinds once and then they no longer bothered attempting to arm helis for A2A.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The Ka-50 can use Vikhr in air to air role ( against air targets below 850 km/h more or less ). And of course you have the cannon...

I think it is enough for a combat heli with a chance to being employed in air to air missions about 0,05% ( and i am fairly optimistic ).

If you find an air target of opportunity and you have enough time to engage it with air to air missiles, the Vikhr is a god weapon, you dont need anything else ( a quite difficult shoot but possible). Why you need R-60 or R-73 or Iglas when the weapons system cant support them IRL?

Triying to convert the Ka-50 in a air to air killer against other helis or slow jets is very unrealistic.

Let stay like it is, and learn to use its weapons in real roles and enviroments

• Like 1

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Theoretically any of them could be carried, much like theoretically you could strap a HARM onto an F-15E.

The A2A weapons are simply not integrated into the WCS as far as we know. Period. In addition, IIRC a Russian army person said they had only tried R-60's on hinds once and then they no longer bothered attempting to arm helis for A2A.

I heard of the experiments. I didn't know they were so limited in scope though. Do you know if they carried twin launchers on the hardpoints?

The use of Iglas and R-60s always seemed dubious to me. They have a very limited range under those launch parameters. The R-73 on the other hand appears on official Kamov documents and on the Erogodan.

Very different from the old line we used to be fed about the V-80 eh? (Btw. does anyone know about the actual V-60 and V-100?)