Kneebord Export for all DCS modules - I need your suggestions

PeterP

Hi all !

Short:

I need Help! because I'm too dump to learn a 'new' Syntax and/or use it efficient and I'm too Limited at time....

Long:

All my mods and knowledge about lua scripting relied up to now to read a given code and just to rearrange it and/or look up in various tutorials how to do it and make it usable for me.

But now I'm reaching a point where this isn't sufficient any-more and it gets too time consuming for me to reach a certain goal in a reasonable time frame

- as studding gets more and more important before I get to the next necessary step.

So I'm at a stage where I can say that this mod will maybe be ready in a min of 6month when I go on like this and only have some hours at the weekend to concentrate on newly learned and bring it into a form I can use it for this mod.. (I hope you get my point)

I have nailed almost everything down what it need to run this mod by "lua only" and almost automatically triggered by the dcs-lua engine alone. (many functions are already worked out by myself - but I ran in too much problems when combining them . and it isn't healthy to my family life any-more when using up 80% of my 'coding-time' for debugging alone)

So I'm looking for someone that is more experience in lua and 'io.' functions and how to make array searches in strings and how to extract and format data.. ...to help me (us) out.

So I'm asking if someone want to step into our team - probably with some lua knowledge or equivalent (pascal) and has no fear to learn something new.

We share a common drop-box by Icemaker and also use Skype desktop sharing option to show us our code how we write and arrange it while talking to each other (English).

I have a full 'road-map' that covers every step that we have to work out to make this mod become alive - without to worry that it gets absulute unusable with a new 'update' of DCS. - it can be even established as a new 'module'. ... but this is another story...

Please start reading at post #51 to get a overview at which stage we are.

The project goal is to fully extract all given data into a readable way to populate FlightCharts that have everyting inside from Radio comes of your wing/coalition up to a full list of your allies - all info separated into Blue/red to prevent cheating.

...once this works (...) - we hope to hand out the (good documented) code to ED and they will integrate it.

Please contact me via mail and give the obvious info about your capabilities - I will than contact you via mail/skype and give you a overview on which stage we are and what's the tasks in detail:

(btw: this is a strictly non-profit project)

E-mail:

profilepic59989_1.gif

smile.gif

I'm now in the design phase of rewriting parts in DCS 1.2.4 for working Kneeboard exports that allows you also to take your own set of checklits and briefing with you and I have to make some decisions.

(well, its somewhat already implemented ,but Icemaker and I want to give it a own menu with additional options like writing your own notes before entering the cockpit - without the need to go into a file-editor)

And I need your suggestions , as it gets trickier to change things afterwards as I also plan to put everything into a somewhat own 'module'.

Question :

Do you think it's useful to have the Knee-board on different places in each module - would you use such feature?

Why would you use/need such function and why you wouldn't renounce on it.

Means: You want to have the Knee-board in a absolute different place and size when entering the Huey as in a FC3 plane .

This will also mean that you have to use and define a different Entry in your monitorsetup-lua - when you don't manage it before hand you wont see the kneeboard at all for the module that is missing this entry.

(I hope it will be possible to automatize this on a later stage by a new EMC version or similar)

Please have a look:

Harke, Fangav,

... now you owe me something .

I didn't had much sleep last night... but I got everything to work ( ...and it was much easier than I thought):

Will try to find in the evening some time to write a installation instruction and put it online.

And I'm able to show a different "Info-Page" as default in each module.

This is how the default Info-Page looks right now, and I'm very sure we can enhance it a little ;) for each module:

Infopage_zps039adf7b.jpg

So here is my question to you all:

What useful info should be shown in the KA-50 and what should be shown in the A-10C ?

...My Idea is just to add the Air-dome, ILS , Tacan -frequencies and active runway directions.

EDIT:

another question:

Has a kind soul the time to write it all down for me , so I save some time tonight ?

If yes - , Please post it like this in alphabetic order:

1. Anapa-Vityaz = RWY:4/22 , ELEV:148 , ILS -- , TAC -- , APP/TWR:121.000

2. Batumi = RWY:13 , ELEV:33 , ILS:110.30 , TAC:16 , APP/TWR:131.000

3. ..and so on.

Thanks!

@Icemaker

;) Please prepare your next EMC Beta build that it also have a "Kneeboard" export check-box for the A-10 and Ka-50 !

These are the init.lua ID's I use in my files:

ED_P51D_Kneeboard

ED_KA50_Kneeboard

ED_A10C_Kneeboard

each module will have the Kneeboard-init.lua in DCS WorldModsaircrafts>Module Name<CockpitScriptsKNEEBOARDindicator

...so using the common.scripts path will be obsolete. - this ensures that we can place the Kneeboard for each module independently and show different info pages for each module.

EDIT *Small progress Update* :

Here is a overview how the current "Kneebord Beta 1.2" works:

There are two modes:

A) you assigned a export in your "monitorsetup".lua :

The Kneeboard will appear as 2D graphic wherever you need it inside the in-game render of DCS.

B) You didn't assigned a export :

It will be visible in-cockpit at the left side and it is carefully placed,

so people, that don't have a Track-IR , can look at it and still reach all click-able cockpit elements.

You will also be able to switch it on/off any time.

These are the new default Keyboard-commands that will be added for the Ka-50/A-10C and probably also for the P-51d to make key assignment/programming easier .

[RWin+K] = Kneeboard On/Off

[Rwin+Up] = Glance on Kneeboard

[Rwin+Down] = Mark current position

[Rwin+Right] = Next page

[Rwin+Left] = Previous Page

- you will be able to change it any-time via the controls options in the "Kneeboard" category.

And off course you will also be able to assign joystick buttons instead of using the keyboard.

I also changed the font for better readability and also fixed a bug of 1.2.2 that let the way-points text appear twice and overlapped in the P-51D module.:

Before:

waypointbug_zpse391a2cd.jpg

Now:

Newin-cockpitPositionandcolor_zps92cf09d6.jpg

To Do list before final release:

-Integration of Icemakers Kneeboard tool that extracts mission data and let you write your own notes before entering the cockpit.

- completing the image library of all airfields and adding a pre-set of check-lists in 683x1024 pixels.

-reworking the layout for the Airfield data chart

-composing a Mission data chart layout that is usable with Icemakers tool

-getting permission from the authors of the check-lists, that I plan to implement

>>> Smal WIP status:

Well, to be honest : not much .

I'm too busy with other things and RL that I have almost no time to concentrate on a huge mod like this - well I'm also a little disappointed how little feedback I got on the questions I posted ...

-never mind -

wink.gifsmile.gif

I hope this 'offspring' of the work for this mod is sufficient for most of you while I dig deeper in the files:

>>>>

KNEEBOARD Export for 'multimonitorsetup.lua' in all modules - DCS 1.2.4

Edited by PeterP

Thanks for the head-ups!

...My Idea is just to add the Air-dome, ILS , Tacan -frequencies and active runway directions.

EDIT:

another question:

Has a kind soul the time to write it all down for me , so I save some time tonight ?

If yes - , Please post it like this in alphabetic order:

1. Anapa-Vityaz = RWY:4/22 , ELEV:148 , ILS -- , TAC -- , APP/TWR:121.000

2. Batumi = RWY:13 , ELEV:33 , ILS:110.30 , TAC:16 , APP/TWR:131.000

3. ..and so on.

Thanks!

Edited by PeterP

I have for the Ka-50 already a Auto-rotation instruction and for the A-10c a windmill Engine restart on my "nice to have " list.

I want to use this very good illustration for the Ka-50 >>> http://www.lockonforum.de/thread.php?postid=79772#post79772 - I'm wating for permission from the author.

Just wondering can we impliment our own kneepad info onto this????

Say like start up procedure's..or other info other that map and map routes...

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

yes , there is the ability for own customisation. - but maybe not to this degree that you maybe have in mind.

It will be a Map in the first place ,

and not a replacement for a detailed check-list that has many pages.

There will be also a illustrated,'easy to follow' instruction and a own folder for image-swapping (well, - as it is already available, ...but you have to dig a little for it..)

I just want first polish the 'defaults' a little.

I work with Icemaker together to bring some more functionality in the Kneeboard - so that there will be(maybe) a check-box where you can swap needed check-list 'on the fly' before mission start from a list of pre-sets .

-Just by simply clicking a check-box. - see this as analogy to that you have to decide yourself what papers you want to take into the cockpit with you before entering the plane.

BTW: I have high hopes that all flight-manuals will be accessible in-simulation with 1.2.3.

So the Kneebord should only cover fundamental data that you need very often and by a quick glance during a mission and isn't covered by the manual in this compact form.

..-time will tell.

Screen_130208_212033_zpsd704d747.jpg

Edited by PeterP

a lot is possible...

but before I answer any more questions, I want to have answered my two questions that I have asked in the initial post. ;)

Plain and simple: this thread has the purpose to give me feedback what you want to have. - it's not meant to be used for questioning me what is/is not possible.

means=don't expect any detailed answers. :)

...and when I have gathered enough info I (we) will decide what is possible/worth to implement and what isn't necessary or obsolete , and/or too time/labour intensive.

and than I (we ) will sure come back and explain why we did things like they are done.

Edited by PeterP

Icemaker will writing a little app , so you can choose form a list of your images what to take with you into the cockpit - and when all works out as planed - this app will also extract mission relevant data from the briefing and show it as extra page on your kneeboard export.

Edited by PeterP

Hi , amazing job !!! do you think we use this mod with F15c ? .

First post:

(Before you ask: No ! - There is now way for me to do it also for the FC3 planes as the "devices" for these planes are hard-coded and not accessible via LUA code)

I wouldnt mind the map being on the seat itself since we have no actual legs. Easy enough to use the zoom key to look at it in detail, and it won't obstruct anything else.

Don't worry:

Screen_130211_114642_zpsf29aa7b6.jpg

There are two modes:

The Kneeboard will appear as 2D graphic wherever you need it inside the in-game render of DCS.

so people, that don't have a Track-IR , can look at it and still reach all click-able cockpit elements.

These are the new default Keyboard-commands that will be added for the Ka-50/A-10C and probably also for the P-51d to make key assignment/programming easier .

[Rwin+Right] = Next page

- you will be able to change it any-time via the controls options in the "Kneeboard" category.

And off course you will also be able to assign joystick buttons instead of using the keyboard.

I also changed the font for better readability and also fixed a bug of 1.2.2 that let the way-points text appear twice and overlapped in the P-51D module.:

Before:

waypointbug_zpse391a2cd.jpg

Now:

Newin-cockpitPositionandcolor_zps92cf09d6.jpg

-Integration of Icemakers Kneeboard tool that extracts mission data and let you write your own notes before entering the cockpit.

- completing the image library of all airfields and adding a pre-set of check-lists in 683x1024 pixels.

-reworking the layout for the Airfield data chart

-composing a Mission data chart layout that is usable with Icemakers tool

-getting permission from the authors of the check-lists, that I plan to implement

Edited by PeterP

WIP-pics of today's labour:

Screen_130211_220356_zps81e4bc20.jpg

Code-Capture_zpsb4ce87a0.jpg

This code is written in perpetration for a App that extracts Mission data from the *miz file and shows it on the Mission Data Card.

Once this works , Icemaker and I will release this mod.

I will update you from time to time what progress we made.

Please be a little patient and don't expect it within the next week.

Edited by PeterP

If this is implemented as an option to turn off/on im okay with it, otherwise, not really a fan of this concept

I'm not exactly sure what option you mean by "this".

>>> Posting #10

I work with Icemaker together to bring some more functionality in the Kneeboard - so that there will be(maybe) a check-box where you can swap needed check-list 'on the fly' before mission start from a list of pre-sets .

>>> Posting #17

There are two modes:

[Rwin+Right] = Next page

To make it short:

Everything can be controlled by you and you are not forced to use any of these features.

If you expecting a more precise answer from than I need a more precise question.

Edited by PeterP

Wow, I want that Guybrush Threepwood poster in my pit! :lol:

The columns in your knee mission card will be filled automaticly from the .miz file? That would be awesome! It came on my mind at the start of this thread, but I was afraid to write it down because I thought that this is imposible :smilewink:

...so, go on sir, do your magic.

One last thing - it would be nice to have my wife&kids foto on the front instrument panel :P

Small update:

Newbuttons_zpsbc4b317f.jpg

Edit:

@ Icemaker

I changed the script for the Launcher once again.

Please exchange the last part to this:

ButtonEMC:
WinActivate, EMC

IfWinExist, DCS Easy Monitor Configurator
   {
   WinActivate, DCS Easy Monitor Configurator
   }
else
   {
   Run, C:\Easy Monitor Configurator\EMC.exe
   }

sleep 500

return

..., so there will be no multiple instances of EMC when clicking the button frequently or a EMC window was already open before DCS launch.

Edited by PeterP

Fantastic job Peter. Is there an ETA for this mod ?

Regards,

Andrew

Edited by _Heater_

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.