TM Warthog Mods

sounds great idea.

Intel® Core™ i5-2500k CPU@4.20GHz 64 bit operation System Windows 10+ Pro NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - Memory: 16.0 GB - 500gb ssd samsung - Samsung 27"SyncMaster TA550 monitors [SIZE=1][B]- [/B][/SIZE][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]TM Hotas Warthog[/SIZE][/FONT] Trackir4 - TM Rudder Pedals.

Idea is good, only there is no spring! Only a black-box-like assembly that intgrates the stick/button that is wired to the control board...

EDIT: Seems only chance to "mod" here is to replace the complete "ministick" including its HALL-sensor! *Sniff* In fact a downgrade, from my side. I'll do a little research on HALL enabled sticks...

Ministick.thumb.jpg.414e9f3ec7f585f770299707dfd7709a.jpg

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That’s a great idea especially as mine seems to have become unserviceable. It was far to fiddly to use when it did work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's

Ok, so after a little web search it seems there are no pre manufactured ministicks with HALL sensors on the market that fit for the Warthog.

Only thing I found is the usual ministiack replacement for the XBOX / PS2 Stick Controllers. No joy with HALL-Sensors it is analog potentiometers AFAIK.

http://produkt.conrad.de/45973183/3d-joystick-f-potentiometer-m-schalter.htm

or the quality Version from ALPS:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/700620/ALPS-Stick-Controller-mit-Schalter-RKJXP-1224002-Joystick-Potentiometer-Joystick-10-k50-VAC5-VDC-Schalter-50-mA12

If you want to try and let me know if it works :D:music_whistling:

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/700620/ALPS-Stick-controller-with-switch-RKJXP-1224002-Joystick-potentiometer-Joystick-10-k50-VAC5-VDC-Switch-50-mA12-Vd

Order placed :music_whistling:

Have you got the part number or spec of the original Thrustmaster unit?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's

Has anyone modded their Warthog yet? I was thinking the first thing I would change is the microstick. give it stronger springs and put a convex disk on top of it to give a more tactile feel.

Any thoughts on this?

Are we talking about the Slew Control on the right throttle? I thought that was a mini mouse like on a keyboard...

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Yes thats the one.

Well ya learn something new everyday...I had no idea it was a hall sensor. However, I will say I was expecting something a little stouter...something like the micro stick on the cougar...

Let me know how it works out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/700620/ALPS-Stick-controller-with-switch-RKJXP-1224002-Joystick-potentiometer-Joystick-10-k50-VAC5-VDC-Switch-50-mA12-Vd

Order placed :music_whistling:

Have you got the part number or spec of the original Thrustmaster unit?

No, it looks to me like Thrustmaster is building their own stuff here. As I said: HALL Sensor based ministicks are not available rather than for industrial purposes, and usually too big (3cm across) and very expensive 100 EUR plus.

The ALPS is the high quality alternative to the standard potentiometer 3D-ministicks used in XBOx or Playstation controllers.

The good thing about these is: they have a nice axis movement 20-25° and with the longer axis it will give you a good sensitivity, I guess.

On the downside, you need to figure out how the cables are linked to the axis' and the button... try and error soldering isn't fun, so maybe you can work it out from the connection to Thrustmasters little Black Box :D

I'm tempted to try the replacement, just for the greater sensitivity. I tried a Saitek X-65F in a shop once and it has the "mouse" / slew-stick like this and behold, what a nice look and feel.

I never understood, why Thrustmaster saved a few cent with the slew stick.

Saitek put even aluminium drilled hats on their X-65F.

If Thrustmaster had spent that extra cash and made the Warthog HOTAS 10% more expensive, well, it was never cheap, so why not!?

I would gladly have paid 20-30 EUR more with everything perfect! :doh:

Shagrat

Thrustmaster is not buliding their own hall sensor here...

the sensor for the slew control is a model of EasyPoint module from Austria Micro Systems. The module uses i2c protocol, so you can't just hook up a standard joystick pot and expect things to work.

You can find documentation from sparkfun https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10835 for a similar model . Not sure if the documentation would work with model used on the TM throttle though, you'd also need to figure out the pin out...

Thrustmaster is not buliding their own hall sensor here...

the sensor for the slew control is a model of EasyPoint module from Austria Micro Systems. The module uses i2c protocol, so you can't just hook up a standard joystick pot and expect things to work.

You can find documentation from sparkfun https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10835 for a similar model . Not sure if the documentation would work with model used on the TM throttle though, you'd also need to figure out the pin out...

Well, that's a bummer! That means I need to figure a way to connect that analog-stick to an external USB card. Ok I have two Arcaze modules running and do not use any of the analogue inputs yet, but it means extensive cabling inside the Warthog HOTAS Throttle...

feasable, but a lot more work than I thought of, initially.:cry:

Shagrat

Well ya learn something new everyday...I had no idea it was a hall sensor. However, I will say I was expecting something a little stouter...something like the micro stick on the cougar...

Let me know how it works out.

Totally agree and was a little disappointed to be honest. Have had

my TMWH for about a week and I find slowing is difficult when you have a tiny 'nipple' to play with. Often you need to lift up your finger and push it again. Would've preferred if they made it exactly the same as the real one...

Intel i5 4670 | GTX 970 | 8 gb Ram | Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudders | Logitech G27 | Astro A40

Great thread - has anyone taken it apart yet and investigated the ministick?

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...

I really like hardware so I was just looking for some non-blurred (high-res) photos of the hogs internals, private parts, chips and so on. I guess I'm looking for hardware pr0n ;-)

I really like hardware so I was just looking for some non-blurred (high-res) photos of the hogs internals, private parts, chips and so on. I guess I'm looking for hardware pr0n ;-)

I have a suspicion that if you try googling for 'hog's private parts' that you are not going to get what you seem to be looking for... :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I have a suspicion that if you try googling for 'hog's private parts' that you are not going to get what you seem to be looking for... :music_whistling:

:megalol: Now that's funny.

Anyway has anyone got a close up picture of the genuine throttle micro stick they could share?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Just been sent this by a mate. So the HOTAS slew on the genuine article is not a micro lever but a button. Shouldn't be too difficult to mod the thrustmaster after all.

b206e0f4a51b81c63c425758ed827e5e.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

No joking, google safe search: off ;)

• 7 months later...

mine works great as a trackir centering button... otherwise it's useless! :cry: (note... I lub my TM warthog...)

moved the slew to another hat switch and haven't thought 'bout it since!

p.s. Captain Pecan... good luck with that... you might want to crazy glu a tooth pick to it first (before drilling) to see if it works.... (humor)

Edited by Picksplitter

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

Super-glue the top (approximately) 1/3 of a golf tee to it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: